Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Misslyn - Atlantis Review

Today I'd like to show you another Misslyn polish - after the great first impression of Blue Planet the reluctance to pay 5 Euro was suddenly that much lower.. whoops... and I got a more subdued winterly colour: no. 620 Antlantis.

Here it is:
Atlantis is an odd mix between purple and blue, but so subdued it's almost grey. It's also packed with very fine shimmer that I'm hard-pressed to describe. Most of it is a bright blue, but there's also something that looks like teeny tiny silver flakies and if you look at the polish under a direct light source, the shimmer seems to be very much multi-coloured. On the nail the predominant effect is of a shimmery purplish grey that flashes blue or a deeper purple. Sounds gorgeous, doesn't it? Well, it does to me.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good picture of it for the life of me. My camera insisted on adding more blue, more purple, not enough purple, too much shimmer, the wrong shimmer... I don't even know. I think I took over 100 pictures in four different light conditions and not a single satisfactory one. My camera sucks. *sulks* The reality is somewhere between all of these, minus the annoying blur and plus tiny silver flakies.

Btw, you can click on all my pictures to see a much larger size. I thought this was self-explanatory, but just in case.




Price & availability: 4,95€ for 10ml in Kaufhof and Karstadt, similar in Müller I think. You can look for a shop that sells the brand in Germany and Austria using the shopfinder on their homepage.

Formula & application: I found the formula to be very pleasant to work with, not too thick or thin. I also like the brush (round-bound), even though it's small compared to others I know. I did a quick and dirty comparison:

From left to right: Opi, Essence, Misslyn, Essie new, Catrice old, Catrice new
As you can see, it's not only a bit shorter, but also much slimmer (Not as slim as for example Color Club however). Even so, I found application with it quick and precise.
What surprised me a bit was that, even though the first coat was very sheer, it was also perfectly even - not the kind of streaky, patchy first coat one often gets with sheer polishes. I needed two coats for full opacity, with veeery thin coats you might need three.

What I didn't like was the drying time. It felt like ages until all the coats were dried through, at least an hour. However, this may be because of my topcoat (Better than Gel Nails) which seems to have turned kind of thick... gooey, gummy... I'm not sure what the English term is. In any case, it was very nasty and I had a hell of a time applying it properly, so I'm not quite willing to blame Misslyn for this yet - but I thought I'd mention it.

Wear & tear: I have worn Atlantis for two days now. There's some minor tipwear on a few nails, but for some reason only on the left hand (I'm right handed, I type with right...). No idea what's up here. You can see it on some pictures, but it's really exaggerated - due to reflection I think. It's barely noticeable in reality.  No chips at all either. I'm sure it could last longer, if I were not eager to try out other polishes from my recent purchases - and shorten my nails! It's only 4 mm of white, but they annoy me So Much! I don't think I'm meant to have long claws. Neat and short does it.

So, on the whole - I really like Misslyn's Atlantis. The drying time is not ideal, I'll have to try another topcoat to see if it makes any difference. Colour, formula and application is top and durability is, so far as I can tell acceptable, provided the tipwear doesn't get worse. Is it worth 5 Euro? For this colour a definite YES! - for more common colours, I'd probably add a few Euros and just get Essie.

No comments:

Post a Comment